Protect Your Property with Flood Insurance in Georgia
by R&I Consultants
It’s raining in Georgia, which always makes us think about flooding. Even a little flooding can cause serious damage to your home. In our last post, we talked about how flood insurance in Georgia can help protect your property. Here are additional ways to prevent and protect your home from flood water damage:
• Look at a local flood map, and determine your flood zone.
• Make sure your furnace, washer and dryer, water heater and other permanent equipment are elevated above the expected flood levels.
• Have inspections on your sump pumps and generators.
• Keep sandbags on had to divert unusually high water.
• Listen to the radio or television for storm and flooding updates.
• If the storm gets bad, turn off utilities at the main power switch.
• Be sure to have an evacuation plan.
• Avoid walking or driving through rising waters.
• Remove standing water as soon as possible, especially in basements.
• Dry or remove soaked carpets, padding and upholstery within one or two days after any flooding.
• Wash and disinfect any areas affected by flooding.
• Report any loss to your insurance agent.
If you are worried about flooding, call us for more tips at 404-459-5975. For more information about Risk & Insurance Consultants, follow us on LinkedIn.