Tips from Severe Weather Awareness Week
by R&I Consultants
After the “snowjam” of 2014, it was only fitting that the week of February 4th be declared “Severe Weather Awareness Week” by Gov. Nathan Deal. As more snow is on the horizon for this week, here are a few important insurance tips from Georgia Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens to protect your property from tornadoes, flooding and other weather-related hazards.
1. Though standard homeowner’s insurance in Atlanta covers damage from high winds and tornadoes, it does not cover damage from flooding. To obtain this protection, a separate policy must be purchases through the National Flood Insurance Program. This policy can only be purchased if your community participates in the national program.
2. Make a list of valuables, furniture, electronics, etc., and photograph or videotape your possessions. Keep these in a safe place outside your home. Doing so makes it easier to prove to your insurance agent exactly what you lost if your home is damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster.
3. Additionally, keep you insurance policy number and your agent’s phone number in a sage place.
4. Protect your home from further damage. For instance, cover your damaged roof with a tarp to prevent water damaged from subsequent rain.
5. Make sure you understand the difference between actual cash value and replacement cost coverage for your contents, and obtain the coverage that best suits your needs. Read this post for more information.
To find more tips from the Insurance Commissioner, click here. For any questions about your insurance policy and how to handle damage from severe weather, please contact Risk & Insurance Consultants today by calling 404-459-5975. Also, remember that our new address is 5416 Glenridge Dr NE, Atlanta, Ga. 30342.